Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Words Can Bring Me Down

Last night while I watched "The Voice" on TV, one thing really caught my attention. It was when Christina and Beverly sang their duet of Christina's song "Beautiful." It was not my first time hearing that song, but last night as I listened I pondered these lyrics ... "Words can't bring me down." They reminded me of the childhood saying "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me."

I understand the reasons we feel we need to say things like this. We need to be strong. We need to put up a guard against being hurt. But the truth is that words can bring us down ... and the hurt goes so much deeper than broken bones. Proverbs 18:21a says this: "The tongue can bring death or life."

I think back to some of the words that have hurt me and how holding on to that has harmed me physically, and hindered my journey to better health. And when I continue to dwell on them, the pain only gets worse. Kids used to call me names at school. Family and friends have said hurtful things at times, as I am certain I have done as well.

The good news is that God can heal the hurt if we let Him. So today I ask God to search my heart once again and show me if I am holding on to any hurtful words that have been spoken over me. And if I am holding on, that He will help me forgive whoever may have spoken those words. I also ask that He forgive me for any hurtful words I have spoken over anyone else. Much like words, unforgiveness can bring us down as well.

So search your heart ... forgive ... and let God heal you. Most importantly, don't let your words bring anyone down. Let your tongue speak words of life! And like another childhood saying says; "If you can't say anything good, don't say nothin' at all!" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment